Saturday, October 29, 2016

My People

An old photo of my people ~ Us, 2002~
August 27
Waking up from surgery is a strange thing for me.  Because of the drugs I always think I haven't yet fallen asleep.  My first thoughts are, "they are not going to know I'm still awake.  I'm going to feel this."  This must be a common line of thinking because when I woke up there was my dutiful nurse and the first thing he said was, "Your surgery is over."  Maybe it wasn't the first thing he said, I can't be sure because I was really out of it, but it is the first thing I remember.
If you know me you know I am naturally a pretty friendly gal.  I like to make new friends and can pretty much strike up a conversation with anyone. My kids used to be so embarrassed by me.  In the grocery store I always talk to everyone around me.  "Mom, do you know that lady? Oh my gosh stop talking to her." Medicated me is even more friendly.  While being wheeled to my room I talked to everyone we passed in the halls.  I even invited a few friendly workers up to visit me.  Oh well, It's who I am. 
I really don't remember much but I do remember being wheeled into my room.  The sun was shining through the window and in the light I could see Doug, Dee and Todd, Sunny and Kristie.  "My people!" I exclaimed as they pushed me into the room.  I guess I did some sort of gangsta sign with my hands, but I don't remember that.   I was in and out of sleep for the rest of that day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment