Tuesday, November 1, 2016

I didn't know what to do

Suzie  and I plotting the nuptials of my daughter Millie and her son Seth.
 I mentioned Suzie in an earlier post or two.  Suzie was there with me on D day when I got the phone call.  We were working late preparing for the school year.  Earlier that day we had run to Hobby Lobby during our lunch time to get some plastic beads for a first day of school activity. While at Hobby Lobby we looked at all of the Fall decor.  I shared with Suzie how I hate when country decor is smiley.  Meaning chickens and cows, leaves and pumpkins.  I hate when they have cartoon smiles. It seemed like everything at Hobby Lobby from cornucopias, to scarecrows had these big goofy cartoon faces and big silly grins.  We had a good chuckle about it and then we saw a primitive sign that caught both our eyes.  It said, Thank you for the food before us the friends and family beside us and the love between us.  We both loved it.
Later that night after the phone call at work,  amidst much uncertainty and confusion, Suzie and her husband Brent stopped by.  She had the sign. She said, “I didn’t know what to do.” Tears, laughter, more tears.  Suzie said she didn’t know what to do, but that statement is completely inaccurate.  Not only has Suzie known what to do, she’s done it. The entire time I was out of work, Suzie made sure my sub had everything he needed to be successful.  Since my return she has basically let me ride her coattails as far as the school thing is concerned.  To be honest, I ride on those coattails a lot, cancer or no cancer.

 Suzie and I first became close when I found out that she wanted a part time job with the school district.  At the time I was working as a part time grant writer and facilitator. The program we intended to implement with the funds from the grant provided the school at which I worked with three part time learning strategists.  I knew Suzie then (She was there on my first date with Doug, in fact.) but mostly I knew of her.  I knew she was a great leader and teacher and I knew her three children were wonderful kids.  I talked to my boss who gave me the go-ahead to call her in. I gave Suzie, and our other dear friend Jori, a call. For the next year the three of us worked together implementing the grant  and writing a subsequent grant which kept us in our positions going forward. Our office was a crowded, lively spot in which we worked diligently to attain and provide resources for the students at our school. On many occasions we laughed so hard that the three of us would have tears rolling down our cheeks.  It was a good time in my life. Because my hours were flexible and part time, I was able to be home with my family when they headed out to school and I was there when they got home.  At around that time our husbands also became friendly.  Doug gives Suzie’s husband Brent all the credit for his love of sushi, when in fact I think Joey and I are at least partially responsible. Whatever the case, the Mechams and the Hinrichsens forged a friendship that has grown stronger with each passing year.  Suzie is an example to me in many ways.   She is a great mother and a wonderful wife. She really has built something special within the walls of her home. Do you have people that you watch and try to pattern yourself after?  I do.  In fact, there are several couples to whom Doug and I have paid particular attention over the years.  We watch how they operate as a couple and as parents.  It’s a pretty smart thing to do really.  If I wanted to be a great musician I would try to learn from those who had achieved success.  Getting marriage advice from a thrice divorced pop psychologist who published the latest best seller is probably not as helpful as looking to those around you who have achieved success in their family.  Doug and I have learned a lot from watching other couples and Suzie and Brent are one of the couples we have long admired.  Suzie is also a very hard worker.  I wish all of you readers knew all of my friends because if you did you would understand the following statement- I put Suzie in the same camp as Darla and Kristie.  For those of you who know, you understand what I mean. For those of you who don’t know it is sufficient to say Suzie’s work ethic is up there with the best of them. Perhaps though what most impresses me about my friend is that she recognizes opportunities to serve.  More, she recognizes the need to act on those opportunities.  I found a wonderful talk by President Monson.  In it he says: 
Our opportunities to give of ourselves are indeed limitless, but they are also perishable. There are hearts to gladden. There are kind words to say. There are gifts to be given. There are deeds to be done. There are souls to be saved.
When our friend Cynthia showed an interest in the gospel I was there to do what I do best, TALK.  I’m that kind of gal.  I have no problem approaching people and sharing my testimony, but I lack what you would call follow through.  Suzie was the one who took the time to involve the missionaries, Cynthia’s ward members, and was the one who had the discussions in her home over dinner.  When Cynthia was baptized many people approached me and said , “Wow, great missionary work you did there.” I smiled and nodded but I knew the real missionary was Suzie.  
In that same talk, President Monson refers to the hymn, Have I Done Any Good in the World Today. The hymn teaches:
There are chances for work all around just now,
Opportunities right in our way.
Do not let them pass by, saying, “Sometime I’ll try,”
But go and do something today.
I guess that is what most impresses me most about Suzie.  When there is a opportunity to do good in front of her, she always takes it. 
I don’t know what I would do without her.

No comments:

Post a Comment